Senior Front End Developer
We’re Farewill, we build simple, beautiful products to change the way the world deals with death. We’ve grown to lead our industry, becoming the biggest (and favourite) will writer in the UK within 2 years of launching.
We’re looking for an experienced Frontend developer to join one of our small, multi-disciplinary product teams tackling a profound human challenge - redefining the way the world deals with death.
As part of the development team at Farewill, you’ll be instrumental in bringing the team’s ideas and vision to fruition - giving us a leading edge in terms of product and user experience. Along with the rest of our development team (currently 5), you’ll be responsible for developing new features and products, keeping our site fast, fixing bugs and ensuring our codebase easy to develop. You’ll also collaborate across the wider team to develop internal tooling and help with their projects.
Our site is currently comprised of a small number of Node.js services covering: universally rendering our React UI, our API business logic and PDF rendering. We also have a number of other small, custom internal services (e.g. Slack bot, Trello API integrations, an ETL pipeline and customer support tools) that help the rest of the team do their jobs effectively.
You’ve worked in multi-disciplinary product teams and alongside other developers and designers; ideally this would be in the form of another digital product at scale. You’re open to sharing knowledge and improving our standards and team processes, be it through pairing/group programming, code review or other methods
In the next 12 months:
- You’ll build new features and products as part of cross-functional teams, ensuring that our standards and uptime are high and that we can scale to meet demand.
- Line manage and grow a small team of developers who are working in one of our cross functional teams.
- You’ll maintain existing features, keeping them in line with best practices and new technologies.
- You’ll gain an understanding of our business, our customers, and our domain, allowing you to use your judgement to make independent decisions.
- You’ll work on internal tools to help the rest of the team.
- You’ll review code from the rest of the team through GitHub pull requests.
- You’ll have the opportunity to help out with at least one user testing session.
- You’ll share your knowledge/experience/interests with the team - be it through pairing, a company passion talk or speaking externally.
- You’ll learn new skills and techniques that improve your own work as well the team’s.
- You’ll help shape the future of tech at Farewill, highlighting areas we can improve, sharing ideas and helping in hiring new team members.
Hopefully you'll have some or all of the following:
- Knowledge of frontend development: CSS (we use Stylus), HTML and browser APIs.
- Clear oral and written communication skills
- Sound experience managing or mentoring developers
- Empathy both towards team members and our users
- Knowledge of testing (both automated and manual)
- Keen to share skills (e.g. pairing/group programming)
- Experience with version control (ideally Git & Github)
Bonus points for:
- Experience using modern frontend tooling (e.g. Webpack)
- Prior exposure to effective dev practices and tooling
- Experience working on large scale front-end projects and how they can be organised to allow developers to contribute confidently and effectively
- Web accessibility experience
- Experience with databases (we use MongoDB, Postgres and Redis)
- Web performance knowledge
If this sounds like what you’d love to be doing, we can’t wait to hear from you. If you’re not sure that you exactly fit the above criteria, please get in touch anyway. Personality and attitude is just as important as experience!
- 28 days holiday
- Competitive salary and share options
- Santander cycles membership
- Regular off-site days and team lunches
- Work from home on Wednesdays, flexible start and end to your day.
- Work with these lovely people:
(L-R, Emily (Full Stack Developer), Helena (Full Stack Developer), Karan (Will Specialist), Ollie (Customer Operations Lead), Tom R (CTO, Co-founder), Tam (Head of Product), Kit (Will Specialist), Constance (COO), Lorraine (Head of Legal), Tom H (Lead Product Designer), Kiran (Partnerships Executive), Victor (Lead Product Designer), Holly (Operations Associate), Dan (CEO, Co-founder), Natasha (Head of Partnerships), Jessie (Will Specialist))