We’re Farewill, we build simple, beautiful products to change the way the world deals with death. We’ve grown to lead our industry, becoming the biggest (and favourite) will writer in the UK within 2 years of launching.
We’re looking for an Engineering Manager to join our growing team tackling a profound human challenge - redefining the way the world deals with death.
In this role, you’ll play an indispensable part of the development team at Farewill, you’ll be responsible for the engagement and productivity of the developers who you line manage, as well as leading technical choices and contributing code in one of our cross functional product teams. You’ll work closely with our CTO (Tom) on continually improving how we support and grow our developers, our teams and our culture, which will be key as we’re looking to double our engineering team by the end of the year.
Stack wise, our sites are currently comprised of a small number of Node.js services covering: universally rendering our React UI, our API business logic and PDF rendering. We also have a number of other small, custom internal services (e.g. Slack bot, Trello API integrations, an ETL pipeline and customer support tools) that help the rest of the team do their jobs effectively.
You have experience line-managing other developers in a way that builds trust and supports their role development. You can contribute towards improving how we share knowledge, improve our standards and processes across the development team. You’re able to help attract, assess and motivate the best developer talent.
In the next 12 months:
- You’ll line manage and grow a small team of developers who are each working in one of our cross functional product teams.
- You’ll lead technical decision making and build new features as part of a cross-functional team, ensuring that our standards and uptime are high and that we can scale to meet demand.
- You’ll help evolve our line management, hiring and dev team practices.
- You’ll gain an understanding of our business, our customers, and our domain, allowing you to use your judgement to make independent technical decisions.
- You’ll review code from the rest of the team through GitHub pull requests.
- You’ll share your knowledge/experience/interests with the team - be it through pairing, a company passion talk or speaking externally.
Hopefully you'll have some or all of the following:
- Prior experience successfully managing or mentoring other developers
- Clear oral and written communication skills
- Proven ability to learn and improve skills needed for your role
- Empathy and integrity, both towards our users and our team members
- A focus on using user insights and data to drive development decisions
- Knowledge of testing (both automated and manual)
- Experience with version control (ideally Git & Github)
Nice to haves:
- Opinions and ideas on how to set teams and line management up to work really effectively
- Experience working on large projects, and the code and contribution complexities that come with it
- Web accessibility experience
- Experience with databases (we use MongoDB, Postgres and Redis)
If this sounds like what you’d love to be doing, we can’t wait to hear from you. If you’re not sure that you exactly fit the above criteria, please get in touch anyway. Personality and attitude is just as important as experience!
- 28 days holiday
- Competitive salary and share options
- Santander cycles membership
- Regular off-site days and team lunches
- Work from home on Wednesdays, flexible start and end to your day.
- Work with these lovely people:
(L-R, Emily (Full Stack Developer), Helena (Full Stack Developer), Karan (Will Specialist), Ollie (Customer Operations Lead), Tom R (CTO, Co-founder), Tam (Head of Product), Kit (Will Specialist), Constance (COO), Lorraine (Head of Legal), Tom H (Lead Product Designer), Kiran (Partnerships Executive), Victor (Lead Product Designer), Holly (Operations Associate), Dan (CEO, Co-founder), Natasha (Head of Partnerships), Jessie (Will Specialist))